Translate

Monday, January 14, 2013

Soothing.. in Spanish.


It was done. The decision to raise our child bilingual was made. Now, the baby was home and the process had to begin. However, there was so much more to do. There was breastfeeding which is more difficult than just attaching a baby to the breast. There was sleep, I mean NO sleep, there was no time to shower and sometimes breakfast happened at 2am. There were guests, there were many hands wanting to hold my baby.
It took a couple of weeks until the dust settled. My husband went back to work and my mother came to help me out everyday. I could shower every day thanks to her. This is when I decided that I would start searching for soothing music for my son in Spanish. I kept hearing my mom singing to him in songs that I sort of remembered. "La patita de canasta y con rebozo de bolita...lalala.." I needed to know what was next! So I opened my iTunes and started searching for kid's music. I also went on youtube and found a video for "El Raton Vaquero," a song by Cri-Cri a.k.a Francisco Gabilondo Soler. Just go on youtube.com and look up "El Raton Vaquero," it is the first video that comes up. This way I started looking up songs I remembered and trying to memorize them. Some of my son's favories (and momma's too) are:
  • El Raton Vaquero
  • La Patita
  • Metete Tete
  • Caminito de la Escuela
  • Los Cochinitos Dormilones
That last one is the one I sing to him before he takes a nap or goes to bed at night. I also sing him "Los Pollitos Dicen." This last one is also a bilingual book. The book is in English and Spanish and it's supposed to be a song, I just don't know the tune for the song in English. The full song is:
"Los Pollitos dicen pio pio pio, cuando tienen hambre, cuando tienen frio. La gallina busca el maiz y el trigo. Les da la comida y les presta abrigo. Bajo sus dos alas acurrucaditos hasta el otro dia duermen los pollitos."
It's such an easy song and my son loves it. It's soothing and I just sing it over and over since it is so short. You can also change the tune to it. This is about the time I learned that even babies have preferences. I was choosing to sing in Spanish and my list of songs was short. So far I was singing "Los Pollitos Dicen" and humming "Impossible Dream." My next favorite song was by Cepillin, it's called "Bosque de la China," and it is about a boy who ran into a girl in China and he liked this Chinese girl but she was not so sure she liked him. Cepillin has an annoying voice, but if you are a kid then you don't know much about voices. I listened to the song over and over on youtube.com until I learned it and I sang it to my son and he hated it! It may sound ridiculous but he would just cry or stare at me with his huge eyes. (My son has huge eyes!). So I went back to just singing "Los Pollitos Dicen" until I learned "Los Cochinitos Dormilones."
Cri-Cri has many songs, but I realized thanks to my husband that they are not all very PC. The ones I have chosen to download are great, but even some of the ones I like I started to really listen to them and realized I may not want my son to listen to them.
You can be the judge of the songs: http://www.cri-cri.net/Canciones/canciones.html
Cri-Cri was my favorite as a child and I knew every song by heart and had all his records. I really wanted my son to listen to what I listened to when I was a kid. Also, I do not know many kid's songs in English, so this really helped me.
P.S. He loves "The Itsy Bitsy Spider." That's one song I do know in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment